meet our team
Accredited Mental Health Social Worker, Certified Equine Assisted Psychotherapist and Registered Clinical Supervisor (PACFA)
Counselling and clinical Supervision provided online and at Pleasure Point NSW
Equine Assisted Therapy offered at Darkes Forest
Mondays 8am – 5pm (Online services and face-to-face at Pleasure Point)
Tuesdays,Wednesdays & Thursdays 9am – 4pm Equine Assisted Therapy (Darkes Forest)
Sara’s passions in life include her co-therapist horses Django and Johnny. She knows the power of connecting with nature, and loves playing with rhythm, drumming, movement, mindfulness, storytelling and art. In recent years Sara has woven these therapeutic experiences into her clinical work and has completed additional training so she can offer Nature-Based Expressive Arts Therapies and Equine Assisted Psychotherapy.
Sara has raised a family herself (including a child with additional needs) and has had the privilege of providing creative individual and group therapy with children, families and adults, for more than 30 years. This experience has been within government, not-for-profit services and private practice, in both UK and Australia Sara has also taught Social Work and Counselling at UWS. Over the last 15 years Sara has enjoyed providing individual and group clinical supervision to other Social Workers and Counsellors. Sara feels proud to be an Accredited Mental Health Social Worker and enjoys the privilege she has had to help ‘make a difference’ in the lives of so many others.
BA in Applied Social Studies; Cert. of Qualification in Social Work (UK) & Masters Degree in Counselling (with Distinction). Sara has also completed post graduate training in Equine Assisted Psychotherapy and Nature Based Expressive Arts Therapy, and is excited to be able to offer these additional therapeutic approaches.
Sara is committed to reflective practice, clinical supervision and on-going professional training. This allows her to remain up-to-date on both advances in counselling knowledge and evidence based practice, particularly in the field of Trauma.
Training and counselling approaches:
Sara has been trained in a wide range of therapeutic approaches and keeps up to date with developments in Neuroscience, which inform her work. Sara will provide a safe space and tailor her therapeutic work to your individual needs and circumstances.
Sara offers relational based, trauma-informed therapy. She works using Equine Assisted Psychotherapy, Expressive Arts Therapies (including drumming), and Narrative Therapy. She also draws on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Gestalt therapy, CBT, & DBT.
Sara’s work is resiliency based and includes family centered and child protection frameworks. Having her foundations in Social Work, person-in-context, cultural awareness and social justice understandings always inform her work. Sara is credentialed for seeing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
Sara enjoys facilitating the following Group Programs:
- The Horse Wisdom Personal Development Program (Equine Psychotherapy Institute)
- InRhythm Drum Therapy’ Therapeutic Drumming and Mindfulness group programs
- ‘Rhythm2Recovery Therapeutic Drumming’ Programs which combine experiential rhythmic music with cognitive reflection
- ‘Bringing Up Great Kids’ Australian Childhood Foundation. Supporting the development of Mindful and positive relationships between parents/carers and children
- ‘Tuning Into Kids’ Emotionally Intelligent Parenting
- ‘Peaceful Kids’ Mindfulness Program for Children with Anxiety
- ‘Yoga To Go’ Yoga & Mindfulness Group for 5-12 yr old’s
- ‘Learning To BREATHE’ A research-based Mindfulness Program for Adolescents
- ‘Wrapped In Angels’ Blanket making group, celebrating and building resilience in children who have experienced Trauma. (created by MaryJo McVeigh)
- ‘The Resilience Doughnut’ program for children
- ‘Love Bites Facilitator’ Respectful Relationships Education Programs for young people aged 11-17 years.
Professional Registrations & Memberships
- Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)
Accredited Mental Health Social Worker & Clinical Supervisor (Medicare Mental Health Provider).
Reg No. 204027
- Psychotherapists And Counsellors Federation of Australia (PACFA)
Clinical Member, Registered Mental Health Practitioner and Registered Clinical Supervisor.
Reg No. 21300
- The Equine Psychotherapy Institute (EPI) Certified Equine Assisted Psychotherapy Practitioner
Referal Types - incl. psychological support services (PSS)
Adult Mental Health
National Disability Insurance Scheme
Perinatal Natal Depression
Suicide Prevention Scheme
- Clinical Supervision & Case Consultancy (individuals, groups, on-line and in-person)
- Self-Care and Resilience Building for Service Providers responding to Covid-required adjustments
- Team building and Leadership workshops